We recently went on a field trip with our homeschool support group to a local transportation museum.
Not only did we learn about lots of different forms of transportation and got to spend time with friends, but we got to SEE and EXPERIENCE what we would usually only read about.
Now don’t misunderstand, I encourage reading. If you know me in real life you know that reading is my FAVORITE way to spend time. But field trips allow us to learn in a very different way. Learning through experience and living allows us to make what we read come alive.
For example, just reading about a train or even seeing one as we sit at a crossing would never have allowed Hope to really understand the size or what is inside.
She also got to see that the comfy cars we now have are very different from the way it used to be.
So I plan to incorporate more field trips into our schedule because I don’t think they are a waste of time and keep us from our school work. They are a part of our learning.
According to Charlotte Mason education is a science of relations and what better way to let our children form those relations than to give them the opportunity to gain experiences in real life?
Please leave a comment and let me know some of the field trips you and your family have taken to enrich your learning.
5 comments:
Mom! Hope looks like a creeper in that picture where she is standing in the red window thing. Take it down! Haha.
Oh my Britt she does look a bit scary doesn't she?? I think she was annoyed that I kept having her look at me for a picture. It was that, "Okay Mom this is enough!" look. I changed it, is that one a little better?hahaha Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Love you!
Love the picture of her looking out of the train!
It looks and sounds like we missed a good one:)
Yes, it was a fun day Amanda. I think Levi would have really liked it.
You should have seen the other picture I had of Hope before Brittany brought it to my attention. Hmmm, let's just say there was an evil eye involved.:)
She looked like a zombie, actually. I think I am going to avoid being with her alone the next time I visit! Haha.
Post a Comment