Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lesson Learned and Other Ramblings

It seems forever since I wrote a post.

I find this is such a busy time of year for us and I have not had the time to write or even read very many blog posts.

We recently spent the day with our church at the North Carolina Zoo. Which is where the lesson learned part of this post comes in. I let Hope play with my camera and all of my pictures were deleted. Maybe letting a five year old play with a camera is not a great idea. A friend we were with is rescuing me and sending me all of her pictures so I will post about the zoo soon.

We have started back with soccer. (Although many of our games have been rained out.)

034

We have also been on a great field trip with our homeschool group, which I will also blog about later. (I do have those pictures. Because I learned my lesson and hid my camera.)

And of course there have been birthday parties and cook-outs. Just this past weekend we had a cook-out with our church family.

051053

050048047

As soon as we left the cook-out at the park we headed to another park for a birthday party.

109077081

103067

We have been enjoying lots of family activities and have many more things planned. 

But I am also needing some down time to set goals and plan. Because I know if I don’t set some goals for the summer and make a plan to reach those goals our summer will slip away and I will look back and wonder what happened to all that time.

I would like to plan daily activities for Hope to prevent boredom and help her learn new skills over the summer. I know we will spend time in God’s Word,  continue working on our reading skills, work on learning to draw, do some nature studies, craft, read many great books, and spend lots of time outside. I also want us to work on forming good habits, for both Hope and myself. But I need a plan. Just saying I WANT to do those things won’t guarantee we will actually do them.

Please leave me a comment and let me know what goals you are working toward for the summer and how you plan to reach them as well as some of the fun things you have planned for your family.

9 comments:

Sally said...

I want us to get into a rythm (i can never spell that word!) which includes the following Absolute Non-Negotiables:
Family Bible Time
Individual Bible Time
Evening Family Devotion

Regular non-negotiables:
Reading/learning to read
math
craft
play
clean something

:)

Amanda said...

For this sweet little season of our lives, my plan for this summer is to soak it ALL up as much as we can with...

playing in the swimming pool.
clearing out the spring in the creek.
doing a summer workbook with Levi to help with Math and ordering MFW letters to help Sadie learn her letters this summer.
picnics,
bible study,park days and cookouts:)
Oh summer here we come:)

Lecia said...

Sounds like you ladies have been thinking about how you want your days to flow this summer too. I think a little academics, a little fun, and a little work will help us keep things in balance.

Adriane said...

It's funny that you posted this...I've been thinking about goals for the next school year but didn't even think about summer. So you've inspired me to think on that too. I'll get back with you soon and let you know. :0)

Cinnamon said...

Well I'm a bit off this summer. We will be doing school till Papa arrives back home from Afghanistan.

Then we will take a big long wonderful break and soak up Papa each and every day.

Our days will be filled with camping, building projects, bike rides, day trips to a big city, playing catch, resting on the hammock. Get the idea :-)

I like what my friend taught me about planning. If you plan just 15 min's to 1/2 hr daily to work on a project it will get done. I used that idea for this past school year and it helped us get through reading so much easier. Daily but not and overwhelming amount.

Good to hear from you~ Cinnamon

Lecia said...

Adrian,
In the past I have found I planned for the school year but not the summer and I felt we were always just "wandering through" our days. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

Cinnamon,
How exciting to be waiting for the arrival of your husband. I know your family will enjoy such wonderful times together and create amazing memories. I hope you will blog about it.

Kristina said...

I have started reading a daily bible story to Lily every morning. And I have also put together a Moms play group, but other than that... I need to figure out something, too. I hate to be at the end of summer and wonder- What did we do???

Susan (Makincrafts) said...

Funny I should read this today. I actually sat down over the weekend and began writing out my goals for the summer. What all i would like to accomplish with the house, craft/sewing, and activities with the kids.
And I've been working on forming better habits recently, that is why I am so far behind on reading all of my homeschool buddies blogs. I've been working on being on the internet a lot less and also developing the habit of getting up earlier and going to bed earlier. Plus with the spring time it seems to be so busy for us.
Sounds like you all have had a busy but fun spring.

Adriane said...

Lecia ~ I'm not sure if you'll see this comment but I did a blog post on our summer goals. Just wanted to check back in with you and let you know. :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails