Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Homeschooling One

This year has been a new experience. We are down to homeschooling one now. I think back about homeschooling my older children and really miss those days when we would rotate between subject with different ages, all gather together to read our history, and do science projects with a fellow homeschool family. Yes, homeschooling one is very different. But it offers its advantages as well.

549837_347782838660579_1788423683_n[1]

We finish our work much more quickly each day than when I had multiple grades to teach. We do extra projects, read, and do lots of arts and crafts.

625451_348296098609253_1677381574_n[1]

We are very active in our homeschool group as well. Each week we take part in a co-op where 110 children and their moms (and sometimes dads) gather to enjoy classes together. We have a variety of classes including Spanish, science, handcrafts, gym, and Rangers just to name a few.

485926_328216743950522_503706325_n[1]

406018_328216833950513_251195441_n[1]

549948_331384636967066_1258685808_n[1]

I just can’t imagine our homeschool without this co-op. I have met many amazing homeschooling families that I would not have met otherwise. These families add so much to our lives. They are family in Christ. We are there for each other, not just in homeschooling, but in life.

As Hope is getting older I am finding we are needing more outside activities. Yes, I know. Many people are wanting to cut down on all the activities. Simplify. Isn’t that the new word? For some it really is a way to add peace to their families. There were periods of time when all my children were little that we had to do that as well. But for us it does not simplify to cut our activities. Hope is a real social butterfly. When she is out and about with people she is learning, exploring, and enjoying life. When we come home she is much more ready to settle down to a quiet activity. It is just the way she is. And I believe God is going to use that outgoing personality. After all, He did give it to her.

So this year I am seeking new learning opportunities in addition to our co-op. I am thinking of starting a new, very small, get together each week with like-minded families. I would like to do something along the lines of a Charlotte Mason type co-op. It would just be a few families gathering together one afternoon a week. Do you have any experiences or advice to offer?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails