Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Friday, January 27, 2012

I Like My Rock

I feel like I live under a rock. Because when I go out (which by the way is often, I am not a hermit) or when I am talking to others about their experiences I am SHOCKED at what people think is acceptable behavior.

My blog is usually an update of what we have been doing in school and life in general. I rarely share my heart here. But I have been so burdened lately as the Lord has been opening my eyes to all that is going on around me. Things I have been blinded to. So I feel I must share this here. No, there will be no pictures to hold your attention. Just serious heart-felt thoughts.

I took  Hope to McDonald’s recently. While we were eating lunch in the play center two little four year old girls came in and were talking to another mom about their “boyfriend”. They went on to discuss how they kissed their boyfriend in preschool. When this mother commented they were too young to have a boyfriend the grandmother of the little girl laughed and said the four year old was more boy crazy than her ten year old sister. Hmmm, and we wonder why we have babies having babies??? Now I don’t believe the grandmother had any idea how different “having a boyfriend” is now compared to when she was little. She probably lives under a similar rock and sees no harm in this.

I was talking with a friend recently who shared that some of the parents of her child’s team members were okay with young teens having alcohol, young children watching any movie, and engaging in adult conversations with their children present.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Our world is a mess. Satan is all around devouring our children.

Yes, I rather like the rock I live under.

Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues; Revelations 18:4

I am in no way saying that we should separate ourselves to the point we do not witness to others because the Lord told us to go out and tell others about Him. We are called to do that. Through ministry to others, through living our lives, through reaching out to others in their time of need I believe we can show them Jesus. But I do believe we MUST guard our children’s, as well as our own, hearts and minds against things that are against God.

I once did an activity with the youth at our church. One stood in middle of a circle of friends who were sitting down. The standing youth tried to pull up all the sitting youth. They could not do it. But the sitting youth could easily pull down the standing one. What a picture of our world. So often we are the ones pulled down by the world.

Only God can change a heart. He uses us in that ministry but He expects us to be wise. His own Word tells us to come out and be separate.

I recently read an article I want to share. Holy Spirit-led Homeschooling shared some food for thought about public school and ministry there. But I am beginning to see that this can be true anywhere. Not just in school. We can’t throw our children out there and expect them not to be affected. As I look back over raising my own children I see I have done just that, not even realizing what I was doing.

Our children and their souls are precious and we must guard them. I see so many areas where I need to work on this. Things I don’t even think about Satan can and does use against our children. My prayer is that we will each be aware of the snares of Satan and take our responsibility of raising our children to be godly seriously.

3 comments:

~Kristin~ said...

Love this, Lecia!
So true!
And I'm with you. I see things that I would change and guard differently with my older children.
My chin usually hits the floor when I am out and about.

Lecia said...

I am always shocked by the things people feel are okay. What are they thinking??

Yes, so many things I look back and see now that I didn't see then. I am sure I will do the same when Hope is older too. Hind sight is 20/20 is such a TRUE saying.

Missy said...

I understand what you are talking about. I have 8 children.
Was previously married for almost 13 years and have 3 children with my husband whom we have been married. (2 are twins) This has made it so difficult for me with things like this. When I do not allow them to watch shows they go to their dads and watch them. They can say words over at his house that they can not say here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails