Last week we took a trip to Washington DC. Do you ever feel like you need a vacation from vacation? While we had a GREAT time, we did sooo much walking! Then of course there is all the laundry and catching up to do at home now that we are back. I think I need another vacation, this time perhaps under a tree somewhere with a good book!
It did turn out to be a great family time. (Although we REALLY missed Sterling and Brittany!) I was amazed at how much Hope understood (which is another blog post) and how much she enjoyed the simple things. While in the Natural History Museum she almost completely ignored the great exhibits for this:
I pointed out the huge animals and she informed me she wasn’t finished with this yet. It was a video about carbon dioxide. She loved all the buttons on the screens and stopped at every one. Much more fascinating than the giant sea turtle hanging above her head!
At Mount Vernon she had great fun playing in the gravel and attempting to start a fire with two sticks.
In spite of all the walking she did really well. Friday we did so much walking and were running late for a tour at the Capitol Building. We almost made it there when the heat and fast pace became too much for her.
So while she napped under a tree on Capitol Hill I enjoyed the view and rested.
We decided to split up rather than all stay together so everyone could see what they wanted to. It worked out really well and we still had lots of quality time together. Of course I didn’t get as many pictures as I would have liked but it seemed each little group had a camera and would often meet up so I still got some amazing pictures.
Being at such a great place reminded me of all the sacrifices made by others so we can live in a free country. It also reminded me that we can never take freedom for granted. I am afraid that we are living in a time when many people are more interested in having their needs met by the government than rising up to take care of themselves and those around them.
3 comments:
What a great trip! I love the pictures too. This is a trip that we have always wanted to make but it's pretty far for us. Hopefully we'll get to make the trip to DC one day. :)
we are glad you are back, survived the Metro unscathed, and returned with the same number of people with which you left -- the same ones, too, I hope!
DC was an eye-opening experience for me. I went when I was in high school, with FCA. One thing that stood out to me were the homeless people - across the street from the White House, for pete's sake. I had never actually seen homelessness in real life. To see people all over the park like that, and literally under the nose of our government...well, I started forming my own opinions about government right then. yikes!
Sally,
Yes, all my fears about the metro proved to be unfounded! I, too, was pleased that we returned with everyone we left with! That has been a problem for me in the past!hahaha
DC is an eye opening experience. So sad to see those with so much and those with so little side by side.
Post a Comment