Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Not “One Size Fits All”

If you know me in real life, you know I love the Charlotte Mason philosophy. I love the gentle art of learning. I love the focused time each day to work on what some may consider “academics”. And the time to explore nature, study composers and artists. I love reading living books rather than dry textbooks. Yes, all these things make the Charlotte Mason philosophy very appealing to me. And I encourage others to help their children form connections, develop an inquisitive mind, and explore their surroundings.

057

025

But, does that mean that my way is the only way to homeschool? That every homeschool should look alike? I hope I have never sent that message although I think I may have at times. Homeschooling is not a one size fits all kind of education. It is an education that meets the need of the child. Each child. And each family. And that cannot possibly look the same in every family. Or even for every child in the same family.

014

 

Let me give you an example.

Hope has always loved reading. She showed an interest in learning to read at the age of 4. None of my other children showed an interest that early. But she is around reading and “school” of some kind all day as various ones prepare for their college classes, exams, etc.  So we started using My Father’s World Kindergarten with her at the age of 4.

003

Now we used ABeka reading with all of my other children. I have to say personally I am not fond of many of ABeka’s materials for our family but they have a very solid foundation in reading. My Father’s World (which I really like by the way) for kindergarten was more of a preschool program to me. It moved way too slow for the eagerness Hope had to learn to read. And it did not incorporate much math, which I feel is important for us. As I started looking into other reading programs I could not find one that taught reading in the same sequence ABeka does. And I like that sequence for us.  So I asked myself (after talking with my very wise homeschooling neighbor) why didn’t I just use what I know would work well for Hope? And I realized I was so caught up in following a philosophy, and ABeka does not fit into that philosophy, that I was ignoring the needs of my child in this area. So I bought the Handbook of Reading at a used sale and ordered Letters and Sounds. Hope just turned 5 in March. I am so glad I found that MFW K is more of what I wanted for preschool than for K. We will be doing what I consider Kindergarten this year, although Hope is already reading and spelling short vowel words.

Now, one of my other children struggled with learning to read. MFW would have been perfect for her for kindergarten. Because it moved at the pace she needed. So don’t let my opinion of MFW K cloud your thinking. It is just that, an opinion, based on the needs of my child at the time.

I am realizing that it is okay if others want to go with a more traditional method, a Charlotte Mason approach, unschooling, any of the other many methods, or a combination of several methods. It may be what works in their family at that time. Or maybe it is the only way they know to homeschool and they just need time to find what does and does not work in their homeschool. But we can all learn from each other. We can take what works for our family, leave what doesn’t, and make our homeschool unique.  Because as I am learning, there is no one size fits all when it comes to education.

                   

045024

I hope to go into this year learning and growing as a homeschool parent. I want to encourage other homeschoolers, but I don’t want to make them feel their choices are wrong or not as good as the choices I have made. I am making choices based on our family, our needs, and our experiences. And I want to encourage others to do the same. 

What are you finding works in your homeschool? 

6 comments:

Adriane said...

Great post. :)

We claim "eclectic" because I really do borrow a little bit from many homeschooling philosophies and styles. It works for us.

I was given MFW Kindergarten this year to borrow and noticed that it might be a little too slow for Abby. She is chomping at the bit to learn how to read. So I'll be supplementing it but will scrap it all together if it gets to be too much. I used Abeka for Emma (not in Kindergarten though) and it just wasn't fun. (And I'm always giving my kids the speech about everything in life can not always be fun...now listen to me. haha) But it was very, very effective. Emma reads fairly well. She does an excellent job at figuring out unknown words.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. :)

Lecia said...

I think we would be considered eclectic too. Although I do lean towards a Charlotte Mason approach. I have only recently started asking myself if I am more focused on a philosophy than on teaching my child in the way SHE needs it.

Sally said...

You got it, sister! I am aware of how I am "all or nothing" . When I looked at Waldorf, I totally ditched CM ideas (though, many are the same). Even now, I find myself doing things, or planning things or -gasp- buying books or curriculum because it is "in line" with CM ideas.
I am not education or teaching or raising Charlotte Mason -- I educating, teaching, raising my children.
#1 should be God's commands, #2 should be knitting. Just joking. :)
love you!

Lecia said...

Sally,
Hmmm, now that I can knit (at least a scarf) I see where knitting can rank way up there!!haha
You are so right, we are raising, teaching, and educating our children. We have to make an effort to focus on that and not so much on a philosophy. Otherwise we will miss our children's needs by forcing them into our preconceived mold of what their education must look like.
Julie C. is a perfect example of teaching to her children's needs not to a philosophy.

Jill said...

I've heard many great things about Charlotte Mason and others, but what I like most about your post is recognizing the differences in each child and what works. Following along the lines of Howard Gardner who related multiple intelligences with learning. Great research from him because not all children learn the same.
As a Mom you know best what is right for your children. The best thing with homeschooling I've seen is the community support among homeschoolers. You guys are awesome! I early schooled my girls but do not homeschool and my youngest starts Kindergarten this year. So I'll have new changes to face during the day missing them both, lol. You're doing a great job. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

Blessings,
Jill

~Kristin~ said...

Great advice! I love when you write! Keep it up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails