Do we treasure the amazing country we are so blessed to live in?
I think everyone in the United States felt great patriotism September 11, 2001.
Our country had just experienced a horrible tragedy and many families had experienced great personal loss.
I am sure everyone can remember exactly where they were when they heard the news.
I was in a third grade classroom where I taught reading part-time.
A teacher stepped in the room and asked me to turn the television on. Other teachers started coming into the room and we all watched in horror as the second plane hit the tower. I will never forget how I just wanted to go home to my own children. But, I could not leave at my usual time because I was needed at the school. So I called my children. I remember thinking that although I really wanted to be with them at least I had my family to go home to. So many others would never have their family intact again.
But oh how quickly we seem to forget. What happened to the God Bless America and Pray For Our Country signs that were displayed everywhere the days following the attack? Do we still treasure the country God placed us in?
Do we cry out to God in our time of need, then forget all about Him once our sorrow and shock passes?
Let us never forget the sacrifices made on that day, the great loss so many families felt, and the events that changed our country forever.
Where were you when you heard the news of that awful day?
3 comments:
Home, getting kiddos ready for school.
I always have a certain morning news show on, and I, like you have the images seared into my mind and heart.
It still takes my breath away to think of the moments that unfolded so quickly and changes all of our lives forever.
I was doing my internship, leading Morning Circle in my 1st grade class. I saw my intern teacher take a cell call (against the rules) and within 10 minutes, mom after mom came to get their children. I noticed the concern in teh quiet chatting of the assistant with the moms and her face, but had no clue until our lunch time, when she told me. I didn't know what to think. We didn't have a tv then either (surprise, surprise, right?) so we followed by ear to NPR's coverage. Even that was more than I could stomach. It was around 3 days later when I saw the images while walking down an aisle at Wal-mart. I broke down right there. Even 10 years later, I can't talk about it, and certainly not see all those stills and videos of it without becoming completely incoherent.
it's funny how you remember so well what you were doing Lecia. and Yes, we shall never forget.
Post a Comment