Children need to have free time, time to be bored and come up with their own entertainment. But too much can be a bad thing. They become discontent and begin to whine.
Or beg to watch television.
Which Hope does on a regular basis.
After exhausting all of my own ideas I went to the best source of information I could find.
Other moms, through both blogs and real life.
After visiting some blogs and getting some great ideas I posted this question on our homeschool support group message board:
How are you keeping your children busy during these summer months or during the school year for that matter?
Here are some of the activities we have been doing.
A fun outside art studio for messy projects. (Thanks Adriane for the inspiration to do art outside!)
I also did a little shopping and bought some inexpensive craft supplies to keep Hope busy throughout the day.
Some of the other great ideas I have gotten:
Unit studies we might not have time for during the school year
Nature walks (which we have been doing after Bible study on Tuesdays, so much fun!!)
Homemade puppets to act out stories
A picnic
Reading Day in our PJs
I have learned so much from the moms in our homeschool support group this year. We have an awesome group of mothers willing to share with and learn from each other. We encourage each other to love our husband and children and serve our family first. I feel so blessed to be a part of this group of friends!
So what are you doing to keep your children busy this summer?
6 comments:
I love the outdoor art studio!
You were right about the glitter being an outdoor project. It's been a week now and glitter is EVERYWHERE!!!
I was just reading this morning about having everything at the childs level to inspire creativity...but it doesn't look like ya'll are having any issues with that!
The only issue we have is the emptying of five bottles of glue at one sitting. I have decided to keep the extras and any messy supplies in a cabinet she can't reach! If you know Hope I am sure you understand!
I agree whole heartedly! Children who must be entertained all the time turn into adults who must be entertained all the time...and that is just not how the real world works! I think one of the greatest gifts we can give our children is a love of reading and learning...that never gets old or boring!
I loved your post! (And thanks for the link!) I'm smiling as I read the comments...Amanda & glitter, you & glue...Oh, these sound so very familiar! :)
Hi! I'm a stay at home Mom of two girls and I love crafting and doing projects with them just about every day! Tomorrow I have a garden Tea party planned! It's exhausting for me, but I enjoy this time spent with them, it goes by so quickly! love the arts outside, so much fun. If you get a chance stop by and say hi! Many blessings to you!
Jill
I think a outdoor art area is great. I had one a few years ago. I was just thinking the other day I need to recreate it.
Post a Comment