Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Thursday, August 26, 2010

How to enjoy reading~



“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” - Jorge Luis Borges



The pleasure of a good book is one of my favorite things in the world. I love to lose myself in the world of a good book, to curl up in the silence of the early morning or late night hours, wrapped in a book.

I think many people approach reading the wrong way: they try to force themselves to read, and see reading as a difficult chore.

Why not see it as a sweet thing? Reading is a joy. It is a time of peace, of adventure, of exploration, of just enjoying a good story. If you learn to love reading it’s not really a habit you have to develop ~ it’s something you look forward to doing each day.


Reading and Children
Many parents are concerned because their children aren’t readers. What’s more important is that you are loving and compassionate towards them, that you instill a love for learning and give them the tools they need to explore whatever they’re excited about.

Start by reading to your child. You can start from the moment he’s born. Read fun, exciting and adventurous books.

Make reading something your child looks forward to doing each day. Do not make reading a forced thing~encourage it~a time for bonding between you and your child.

Make it a routine — do it at the same time(s) of day, in the same place, such as at night in bed or in the morning in a favorite chair or couch — because children find comfort in routines.

Also make it a habit to go to the library regularly ~ and read with your child there. Help your child find books that interest her.
Get a library card!

Be a model — read yourself. Do it every day, and let your child see how much you love reading.
She will want to read too...even if she can't yet!

Finding Amazing Books
Whether you’re trying to instill the love of reading in your child or yourself, the key is in finding books that you just can’t put down. If you find that, the rest is easy.

But beyond the book itself is everything else that surrounds you — where you sit, how quiet it is, how comfortable you are. You want the experience to be as pleasurable as possible. For some, that might be reading while taking a hot bath (reading in the shower is more difficult). For others, that might be with a hot cup of tea or coffee. For still others, it’s reading in the park, near a river or lake or ocean, on their front porch as the sun rises.

Whatever works for you, but make it something to look forward to.


Learn to immerse yourself in the world of a book, and forget about the world around you. This is related to being in the moment, or finding the state of Flow — time seems to disappear, and nothing else exists but your book.

If you have children or grand children, read to them. Snuggle up close on the couch or bed, and read a good book. It’s great quality time, and it helps you enjoy reading more as well.
"We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love for reading them." B.F. Skinner

7 comments:

Sally said...

Great post, Lecia! I'm not a big fan of Skinner, but that quote is fantastic! I think that you hit on a lot of great points for things that help make great readers. Immersion!

Jill said...

I love to read and so do my girls! We read all the time. :-) Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Jill

Anonymous said...

I love to read. My hubs does and my kids have just picked up the love so far. So far!! Thanks for the post. I like the idea of reading at similar times.

Amanda said...

It is because of you and your love for reading and promoting literacy that I am enjoying reading and enjoying giving this fine gift to my children.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for setting such a fine example.

Love you!!!

Lecia said...

Reading is my all time favorite pasttime. I have to force myself to put a book down to do what I need to do. Hope is just like her mama.
Sally, I must confess, Amanda wrote this post for me because I have been so wrapped up with ER visits etc. that I have had no time to write.
Amanda,Thanks for writing for me. A true friend that can know your thoughts so well. Glad I have encouraged you to develop a love of reading!

Adriane said...

I love to read. I always have. This love was a big reason why I went with Sonlight for curriculum this year. So far, we are loving it. Great post, Lecia. :)

Roan said...

I love to read too! My two oldest girls are bookworms as well. Thanks to Sonlight, my oldest son is realizing that reading a real book can be enjoyable! I estimate that I read out loud to my children 3 hours a day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails