I fully intended to participate in the Not Back To School Blog Hop over at Heart of the Matter this week.
However, I had computer problems at the beginning of the week. Then I ran behind on everything else this week (thanks to all the time trying to fix the computer problems) so I’ve had no time to get online.
I missed the deadline for linking to the blog hop this week.
I am posting what we are using this year anyway.
Because if I only did things when I was on time, I wouldn’t do much!
Hope: Kindergarten
For Hope this year we are using My Father’s World. I am really excited about using this curriculum with her. Our desire is to build her foundation on Christ so we feel it is very important to choose a curriculum that is also built on that foundation .
It is also very Charlotte Mason friendly. I plan to incorporate lots of music, art, and nature study into our days. We will also be doing lapbooks, which I think will add so much to our year.
On Tuesdays we are doing co-op with our homeschool group. She will be taking six week sessions of a book club, art, music, cooking, and science. She will also be having an hour of gym time each week.
Ryan: 11th grade
I really want to encourage Ryan to get in the habit of being in God’s Word every day. He has a devotional that we bought him and they are beginning a new study at church for the youth that he will need to work through during the week. The youth pastor is encouraging the parents to go through the study and discuss it at home each week.
In addition to being in God’s Word daily he will be doing the following:
Algebra II: Teaching Textbook (I can’t say enough good things about Teaching Textbook. Where was this when I taught the older children??)
Spanish: Rosetta Stone (This will be our first year and I am excited to learn as well!)
Science: Apologia (Ryan is taking science through our co-op. He will do the labs in class and his co-op teacher will give the students assignments to do at home.)
Economics: Some education will come from our Abeka textbook and the book Whatever Happened to Penny Candy (I think I have the name correct) but much of what he knows and will continue to learn will be through current events and discussion.
English: Our focus will be on writing in context areas and editing. (What better way to improve your writing and grammar skills than to write and edit?)
He is also playing traveling soccer and will be getting a part-time job.
In our home this year we will have three taking college classes, one in high school, and one in Kindergarten. I am looking forward to lots of academic growth, but more importantly, spiritual growth for our entire family.
I encourage you to jump over to Heart of the Matter. There are some amazing blogs linked up to the blog hop this week.
What are you using in your homeschool this year?
7 comments:
Lecia, I somehow stumbled on this Hop yesterday -- WOW!!! Thank you for reminding me, so I can see what awaits us this week!
Sounds and looks great. I have a lot of friends that use My Father's World and loves it.
Lecia, I forgot all about the blog hop and even wrote a post about our new curriculum. Oh well! :) I'm glad that you shared yours with us.
We came very close to using My Father's World this year too. I could not decide whether to use it or Sonlight. I finally went with Sonlight. I'm excited about it and am praying that I made the right decision. I hope you have a great school year!
I can't wait to get some time to visit some of the blogs I found on the blog hop. I am hoping to get a little motivation.
Adrian,
I also looked at Sonlight. I know several families using Sonlight and they love it. It was a little too expensive for us but I do think it would be a good fit for Hope since she loves to read.
Lecia, Looks like you have put together some great ideas and curriculum. You know I have a blog and tried to start back in December but decided to delete it all but you all are really inspiring me to blog. I may just have to try it again and see how it goes. I love the pictures of Hope at the top of the blog. She is sooo adorable.
I LOVE blogging and would love to post daily but I never seen to find the time. But I must say it I considered starting a blog for some time before I actually started it. I am so glad I did.
I am heading over there now to check this out! How on EARTH have I missed this!!!
Great post!!!
Post a Comment