Someone once asked me what my blog is about. Seth’s girlfriend Christina said, “It is about the awesomeness of this family.” Hmm, good answer Christina.
The Thanksgiving holiday is an example of the awesome family I have been blessed with.
Brittany came home Wednesday and we spent the evening in the kitchen baking pies and preparing the turkey for roasting. Seth and Ryan brought in pizza for dinner and we all spent the evening having lots of fun together.
Thursday we had family over for lunch and enjoyed lots of yummy food and beautiful desserts.
Of course no Thanksgiving would be complete with the annual twins’ breaking of the wishbone.
We decided to meet my brother, sister-in-law, niece, and nephew at midnight at the local Walmart for some Black Friday shopping. Thankfully they got there around 11:00 and already had everything I planned to buy in a shopping cart and were in line waiting for me well before midnight.(I did not bring my camera but the lines and crowds were crazy. Which I am sure you know if you have ever been Black Friday shopping!) Then we headed about an hour north to do some all night shopping. The guys hung out in the cars (and napped) in Target parking lot while I hung out in line with my sister-in-law, niece, and nephew for two hours. Crazy?? Well, maybe. I wasn’t even interested in getting that much but as the group of fun women behind me said, it is the experience. I must say I met some of the nicest people and had lots of fun just hanging out in long lines, in the rain, and chilly temps. just to get a few presents.
After sleeping a few hours Friday we put up our Christmas tree that night. This is a huge family affair at our house. We enjoyed popcorn and hot chocolate and listened to Christmas music while we decorated.
Hope had a little help putting on the special angel in memory of Granny and Dad.
We have a tradition (okay, so it is weird tradition… but that is part of our awesomeness) where everyone lies under the tree after it is lit. This started when the children were little because they wanted to see the lights. It has continued and now includes boyfriends, girlfriends, friends, and puppies (We missed Hendi this year).
After decorating we all gathered in the living room and watched Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
This morning Hope was looking at our Christmas tree full of special ornaments each with a memory and she said, “My family is so special.”
Yes, our family is very special. And awesome. Does that mean everything runs smoothly all the time? Of course not. We are a large family and at any given time our home is full of people. To some that may seem like chaos. But for us it life, our life. And I am so blessed and THANKFUL that the Lord has given us such an awesome family!
13 comments:
This is the fruit of a "quiver full"...so sweet and precious!
I feel like I am there!
Yes, I never thought of it that way. It is the fruit of raising our family. I cherish these special times.
I think that is the one cool tradition about lying under the tree. How neat.
I love the look of those cupcakes.
This is such a lovely post! Definite times to treasure always! It looks like you are so very blessed! Those cupcakes by the way are just adorable!! Have a great week!
Blessings,
Jill
Our family has grown so that the tree has to be pulled out in the floor to fit everyone around it. I can't imagine a Christmas without doing this.
My sister-in-law made the cupcakes. She is so talented. Obviously she is always in charge of desserts at our family gatherings!
Lecia, I loved this post. You do have an awsome family. I can hear and feel your love for your family.
Thank you Adrian!
Those goodies look very good and your family is beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us!
Thank you for sharing! I found you from At the Well, and I loved reading about your traditions. It sounds like your family had a fantastic Thanksgiving. Merry Christmas, too!
I love the pictures of everyone under the tree! That brings back memories. My brother and I used to sit under the tree very early on Christmas morning when we weren't supposed to be up yet, just looking at the parcels and wishing it would hurry up and be morning!
You are creating great memories!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Having the kids under the tree, I love that idea! What a wonderful tradition.
Thank you for all the kind comments!
Post a Comment