Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Homeschool Support

Yesterday I went to the used curriculum sale in a nearby city with several friends. Once there we met up with several other homeschooling moms we knew and met many we didn’t know. (Sorry no pictures of yesterday, I forgot to take my camera in all the excitement of the “Mama’s Day Out”!)

The first thing I noticed when I walked through the door was the support I felt, even from perfect strangers. While not everyone knew each other, we used many different curriculums, and of course not all believed exactly alike about child rearing, homeschooling, or any other thing for that matter, there was still such a spirit of support and encouragement. And I believe much, if not all, of that can be attributed to the spirit of Christ.

As I walked by table after table lined with books and learning materials it was apparent that there was a goal of homeschooling our children for Christ. Now I know that not everyone homeschools for this reason. There are many homeschoolers who are not Christians. But at this sale every table was filled with books from a biblical worldview. And it confirmed even more the importance of surrounding myself with like minded believers to encourage and support each other in homeschooling, but more importantly, in walking with our Lord as we seek to raise our children for Him.

A friend recently shared some verses with me about being like-minded.

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,  then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Philippians 2:1-2 NIV

Like-minded fellowship is so important, important enough for the Lord to include it in His word.

We have a homeschool support group in our area. It has grown to be fairly large for such a small town. And of course with growth comes growing pains. But I am thankful that I have found such an amazing group of women.

We recently had a small book sale of our own.

012

We meet for co-op each week to offer classes for our children that we may not teach at home or that is more fun with a group.

021027024

032031

Art class with Mrs. Amanda

010008

Music class with Mrs. Vis

118120135

130127

Cooking class with Mrs. Sally

We also had a gym class this year, a book club, and a human body class. Our high school students have science with lab, which allows them to take part in labs they may not have the opportunity to do otherwise.

Yes, Tuesday mornings are a bit busy around here. Sometimes it can be difficult to devote one morning to being away from home. But the benefits far outweigh any obstacles we may face to join together to share our talents and learn together.

Through this group I have found so many friends who are seeking to raise their children for Christ. And they inspire me to be a more Godly mother, wife, and homemaker. They inspire me to reach outside of myself and the walls of my home to fellowship and share with others.

So the planning begins again for the upcoming year.

019

We had our planning meeting this past week for our 2011/2012 co-op. We went armed with class ideas, thoughts on what did and didn’t work, and excitement about all the learning opportunities we would experience in the upcoming school year.

Do you have support in your area as you homeschool your children for Christ? Leave me a comment and share your experiences. If you do not have that support I encourage you to seek out like minded families and join together to help each other along this journey. You may choose to join a large group or just get together with a few families but you will greatly benefit from this type of fellowship.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

A great post!

Yes, how would I EVER survive this journey without the support of you ladies:)

Adriane said...

It's funny you should post this...(I seem to start that way a lot on your posts. You always seem to write about what I'm thinking. :) Just last night, I was a bit upset and talking with my husband because of the lack of support. We are part of a homeschool group but I've yet to find support in that after 6 years. (Long story but not for lack of trying) The only co-op anymore is Classical Conversations which is great but definitely not affordable for our family. I just feel like an island out in the middle of the ocean when it comes to this homeschool thing. I've thought on starting some kind of co-op but the time thing becomes an issue for me. Anyway, I would appreciate any prayers from you all right now. I sure could use them. Thank you for posting this. It shows me that there is the possibility of finding others who are like-minded to help in this journey. :)

Lecia said...

Amanda,
I feel the same way!

Adrian,
I understand that island in the middle of an ocean feeling. Even several years ago we had a co-op and our group did field trips and activities but there were no connections. Years before that I had gotten together with a couple of families and we had done some activities together. I felt a true connection there but even though I had more families around me in an actual group, I just felt alone. Then I started talking to Sally and realized she felt the same way. As we began to talk other moms would stop by the nursery and make a comment or two about homeschooling and it was apparent they were wanting connections too. Then the following year Amanda became a part of our group and she voiced the need for fellowship. Things began to happen slowly. Of course we are a larger group now and there are still many who just want to come for the activities and classes or form connections with others in the group. But I am finding more and more are joining in on our attempt to nurture those relationships.
I pray you can find someone, even if it is just one family, and start small doing things together. Time can be an issue but just set aside one morning or afternoon a week and do some learning activities together or just hang out.
Now that I have this fellowship I can see how it has added so much to my life in all areas, not just homeschooling.
My specific prayer for you Adrian is that God will send that family to you that will help you in your walk with Him as you raise your children for Him and will give your family that needed fellowship and encouragement.

Adriane said...

Thank you Lecia for taking time to comment back to me and pray for me. I truly appreciate it. :)

Susan (Makincrafts) said...

Lecia how did I miss seeing you? I saw others there from the group but missed seeing you. It was very crowded and I was trying to stay focused and look for what I needed , it can be a little overwhelming. So many books and people.
I have to say the support in the homeschool group is wonderful. I just wish I lived closer. In my area we lack a lot of what you all have but I have learned so much from being apart of the group that I am hoping to form a group/co op in my area this coming school year. I am working with another mom in my area and modeling the co op alot after chef. I really hope that we can have a christian homeschool support group in my area where everyone can be encouraging one another. I was so encouraged not only as a homeschool mom but as a christian woman and wife. I really think that is what a lot of homeschool groups are missing the encouragement and support. Activites are nice but we all need the support and encouragement.

Sorry I wrote a book in your comments. :)

~Kristin~ said...

Lecia~
I'm playing catch up right now, after not being on the computer for a number of days. But, I wanted to say...That finding that encouragement makes all the difference!
I just got back from our HomeSchool Convention and my brain is swimming, but my heart is full. And my desire...my desire is stronger than ever! Our key note speaker was amazing and encouraging and CHALLENGING!!! Just what I needed!
I am going to write a post about it later today or tomorrow. ;o)

Adriane~
I am thinking of you and praying for you as well!
You are not an island...but when it feels like you are. We...will be the vessel out at sea that sends you a message of hope!
Stay strong!

Love, Kristin

Lecia said...

Kristen,
Isn't it great to go to convention?! I did not go when my older kids were growing up and I don't how I managed! I didn't get to go this year but next year, I am going.

Susan,
It was very crowded, I am sorry I missed you. I would love to have seen you!
We miss you but I am so glad to hear you are starting a christian group in your area. I am sure it will be a huge success. You still have to come visit though.

Adrian,
Kristen is right, we are here for you. I know it is not as good as being with others, but we are here to support, encourage, and pray for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails