This morning we noticed two birds sitting in front of our porch.
They were enjoying the bird seed that Hope threw out earlier. We usually only have robins and cardinals in our yard so we were excited to see these birds. Funny, they have been here most of the day and even the noise from the house is not scaring them off. Hope immediately ran to the computer and wanted to know how to spell bird so she could type it in the search engine and find out what kind of bird was hanging out in our yard. We pulled out our books and she spent lots of time trying to find a picture of our bird. We are thinking a pigeon but if you know for sure please leave us a comment and let us know. Hope insisted they were peacocks. Umm, no. I reminded her of what a peacock looks like and she decided that they were not peacocks for sure. But it did give us the opportunity to discuss what to look for in identifying birds. I am actually very impressed with her research skills at the age of 6. And she is very impressed that we are attracting more birds to our yard because of her efforts to feed them.
Well, I must be off to finish making dinner and fold a little laundry. Tomorrow is co-op day then Bible study tomorrow night at a friend’s house so I need to prepare for a busy day.
UPDATE: After putting this picture on facebook two friends let me they are mourning doves. Thanks ladies!
4 comments:
yes!
mourning doves my friend!!!
aren't they beautiful!
The first time we found them was last fall in the woods. We actually heard them call. And my gracious they have a beautiful call.
Such a great post!
Amanda,
Lots of people were commenting on facebook about their call. I am going to listen for that now that I know they are nearby.
i think that was my first FB nature Study! Sorry i wasn't helpful before, clearly i do better with pictures than words! Bryan has an app on his ipad for birds - i am going to hear that sound!!
We are visited by mourning doves all the time though I didn't know what they were...I was thinking pigeons too. There are usually two of them sitting on the lines that are right behind the garden. :)
Post a Comment