Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Renewing Our Minds

 

069_thumb1

I haven’t posted about my study in Becoming a Woman of Simplicity by Cynthia Heald in a couple of weeks.

I was talking with my friend Tiffany about this study and we were discussing how this is not another how to say no book or tips on time management. No, this is a study about drawing close to God, so close that He directs our steps. There is no room to take on more than He has for us because our lives are consumed with Him.

Chapter Three is about living in the world and not being of the world.

We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. 1 John 5:19 (NIV)

Yes, the world is under the control of Satan. But God has sent His children to be the light in this dark world. Only, way too often, we become so involved in the world that we don’t show much of that light.

I really like the quote by Oswald Chambers on page 35 of this study.

Our Lord did not teach detachment from other things: He taught attachment to Himself. Jesus Christ was not a recluse. He did not cut Himself off from society, He was amazingly in and out among the ordinary things of life; but He was disconnected fundamentally from it all. He was not aloof, but He lived in another world.

So how do we do that? It is through the renewing of our minds. On page 39 Cynthia Heald writes, It is our time spent quietly in His presence that transforms our minds and renews our strength to go back into the world to be the women He wants us to be.

We cannot simply attend church or pick up our bibles every so often and expect to go out into the world and not be affected. It is through the renewing of our minds, through daily time in His Word, sitting before Him and listening, that we will be equipped to go out into the world and show others Jesus.

So this week I challenge you (and myself) to attach yourself to Christ through His Word. I think we will be amazed at how the things of this world will have no hold over us when we consistently go to the Lord to renew our minds and give us strength.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. It isn't a weekly encounter that keeps us in the steps of the Lord it is a daily even a minute by minute communion with him. I am so interested in checking this book out.

THanks for sharing.

Sally said...

thank you, lecia! i shared a bit of my reading on shutterfly, and just now got here.
thank you thank you thank you!

~Kristin~ said...

Lecia,
I'm not reading this book, but I can say it is constant tug of war not to be worried about conforming to this world and making sure that I am always in Step with God. Each day!
Thanks for sharing.

Lecia said...

Yes, ladies, it is a day by day walk. This world is so full of the influence of Satan we really must walk with our Lord every moment.

Collette said...

This was so encouraging to read - thank you for sharing! Enjoying your blog :)

Susan (Makincrafts) said...

Thank you so much for continuing to share what you are reading and learning from this book. I am really thinking I need to go ahead and order this one.

Amanda said...

Ah, so true. It's in those quiet moments we spend with him. Thanks so much for posting this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails