Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Where She Sat

 

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42 NIV

Jesus says something extraordinary about what Mary did; it would become a permanent part of her life;it would count for eternity. Quite a promise. And what did Mary do? All she did was sit. It was where she sat that made the difference. Ken Guire (Taken from Becoming a Woman of Simplicity by Cynthia Heald page 54)

Sitting before Jesus, He makes it so easy, yet we make it so hard. A life rushing around is not His plan, it is what we have become accustomed to, it is our way, not His. Throughout my walk with the Lord I have struggled with really knowing what He wants for me. I read scripture, I pray, I fret and worry, but that is just it. I am always DOING, He just wants me to be still before Him. He is so merciful and makes it so easy…I am the one making it hard. Truly time to do it His way.

I am linking up with Courtney Over at Women Living Well and at Raising Homemakers.

7 comments:

Susan (Makincrafts) said...

Wonderful post and so true! I am learning more and more every day that just taking time to be still and listen, then we can hear Him and see more of His plans and desires for our family.

Lisa said...

It is sometimes truly difficult to be still. I appreciated this post very much!

Amanda said...

This is a beautiful post Lecia. I'm so thankful I have you as my sister in Christ is real life. Your friendship means more to me than you will ever know.

What a humbling post. I was thinking that this sounds like a wonderful study. So much that maybe we should consider doing another study by Cynthia over the summer for our womens bible study?

What do you think?

Lecia said...

Thank you ladies for your comments. Yes, I think being still and just listening is something almost all women struggle with.

Amanda, You are such a dear, sweet friend and sister. I don't know what I did before I met you! Yes, I think a study by Cynthia may be great for our summer study. I am looking so forward to that. Studying God's Word with some of the most amazing women I know! What could be better?

Sally said...

i echo amanda -- amazing on all counts!

Lecia said...

Sally,
You are one of those amazing women, like Amanda, that I am so glad I have gotten to be such close friends with. I am looking so forward to Bible study with you ladies this summer. It is just something about being in the presence of women who are striving to live for Christ and are not afraid to be real.

Collette said...

How true - & something I need to constantly be reminded of. And yet it is nothing short of a miracle that on those days when I DO spend precious time studying & praying...it seems that my work somehow still gets done with less time & generally with less stress.

All the comments above are beautiful! Although I really don't know you ladies in 'real life', I want you to how blessed I feel to be able to get to know you through this blog-world!

God bless you!
~Collette

Related Posts with Thumbnails