Our homeschooling journey began over 20 years ago.
At that time there were only two publishing companies I knew about. So I chose the curriculum that a family in my church was using. (This is the only family I knew who homeschooled.)
Through the years I failed many times as I educated my children. I tried to have school-at-home. There were endless math problems to do, workbook pages to complete, textbooks to read, and tests to take.
Needless to say, many days we struggled. Some days I thought of sending my children to school. But I knew God was calling me to homeschool. So I forged ahead.
Thankfully, more and more families began homeschooling in our area. We made many friends, took field trips, and did “classes” together. Those things added so much to our experience. I began to see my children gain a love for learning. I also began pulling in different books and activities.
Sterling and our friend Danae doing a presentation
Our tye dye t-shirt project with the Dickersons
Still, at the end of the day, the bulk of our “school time” was school-at-home. However, my mindset was changing. I knew that learning could not be confined to a few hours a day, sitting at the table, filling in the blanks.
Fast forward to many years later. My oldest child was 20 and my youngest child was 12. The Lord decided to bless our family with Hope.
One day, when Hope was a little over a year old, I ran across a Charlotte Mason blog hop. And homeschooling as I knew it changed. Oh, not overnight. But the change began to happen. Then, I read The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola.
I had seen Karen’s reviews, as well as those of her husband and children, in catalogs. But I really did not have a clue about Charlotte Mason or her philosophy of education. As I began reading this book I knew Hope’s education was going to look very different from that of my older children.
Learning is natural. Deep down it was something I had known all along. We make learning unnatural by trying to confine learning to a time of day, certain days of the week, and months of the year. And in the process we destroy the love of learning, the curiosity that is so natural in a young child, and the eagerness to discover something new.
Recently, in an email to Karen Andreola, I explained how much her book had changed my way of thinking about education and how that will greatly affect how I homeschool Hope. I think she summed it up very well, it will be an education that has been “worked out”.
Over the years I have learned that homeschooling and school-at-home are very different. Each day, as we homeschool, we seek opportunities to learn about the world around us. Who wouldn’t be excited about that?
In spite of my mistakes, God has been faithful. All of my children are educated and have a love for learning. Are they all scholars who seek advanced degrees in many different subjects? Well, no. But, for the most part, they each have chosen something they love and want to spend their lives doing . They are seeking to learn more about what they are interested in through education and training.
Of course our main goal and purpose in raising our children must be to raise them to know and love the Lord. Regardless of success here on this earth it won’t matter for eternity. Knowing and serving the Lord, that is what truly matters. But I don’t think that can excuse us from properly educating our children. God is a God of knowledge and wisdom. He has given us the ability to learn and be productive and we should seek to help our children become their best for His glory.
(My friend Amanda is giving away a copy of The Charlotte Mason Companion. Please jump over to her blog and enter to win.)
25 comments:
Thank you for sharing your homeschooling testimony with us all. Since moving to VA several years ago and finding the homeschool group, you have been (among others things) a source of inspiration.
You are honest and real about how you got to this point in your hs'ing journey.
I could go on and on (but typing one-handed is getting tough, lol!), but I count it a blessing to call you one of my closest and most trusted friends. Thank you for being you, and preaching the CM gospel :)
Beautifully written Lecia.
but then I would expect no less from you. You have given me hope with my journey and I'm so thankful for that;)
Thank you my dearest friends for such kind words. You both are an inspiration to me. You love God, your husbands, and your children and it is apparent in all you do. So thankful to have you as friends!
You have such a sweet testimony. I adored all your pictures. A love for learning -- life long learning - that is what I would love to create here in my home.
Blessings.
Lecia, I would love to hear how this changed you from where you first started. Do you do less seat work?
Do you spend less time on paper work? Do you worry about doing enough educating or too little?
Thanks, Kristin
I'm so thankful I've found CM now before my kids are actually in "school". We tried a montesorri-style homeschool for my older ds's preschool, and it did NOT work for us. I love how you said "Learning is Natural." I love that.
Very beautiful testimony. Wow! Very inspiring to me.
Haha those pictures are SO OLD! I still remember Alisha slinging that tee shirt around and it falling into the dye, and her splattering it everywhere!
Thank you for sharing your story. It helps to affirm my own decision to move toward a more Charlotte Mason education.
Thank you ladies for your kind comments. I felt the need to share my story because I see so many moms starting down that same road of school-at-home that I started down.
Kristen, Charlotte Mason's philosophy of education, and all the components that go into that, is difficult (okay impossible) to explain in a few short sentences. So I am afraid I can't do it justice here. I will email with a little better explanation.
Brittany, At least there are no BIG hairbows and puffy sleeves! haha I remember there was a spot of dye in Robin's kitchen floor for several years until they replaced the floor!
I have read bits a pieces about Charlotte Mason but have not read a book about her. Hopefuly I can read the book and learn this summer on vacation. I so want to be a good mother and teacher for Lily (and any future kiddos God may give us). Thank you for sharing about how you teach Hope!
Hey girl! Sorry this has taken me so long...here is the blog post I wrote about some of the things I changed about my eating habits.
http://lifeatsonicspeed.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-im-eating.html
It was just some little things here and there but they have made a BIG difference! Hope you have a great week!
Thank you for sharing your testimony, Mrs. Lecia! It was such a joy to read about your journey of homeschooling and how you became introduced to the Charlotte Mason method of learning. I have entered Mrs. Amanda's giveaway for the book, and know that my mother would greatly enjoy it!
Many Blessings,
Jenna
Kristina,
I think you will find this book life changing. I actually had a mother tell me that recently.
Heather,
Thank you for the link! Thanks for stopping by!
Jenna,
I think it is very sweet of you to think of your mother. Thank you for stopping by my blog.
Thank you for sharing your homeschooling journey with us. My questions are along the same lines as Kristin's. I'm hoping I win that book! :)
Lecia, what a lovely post on describing how you found Charlotte Mason! And Hope is just adorable! :)
I have entered over at Amanda's blog for a chance to win the book. What a nice giveaway! Some special Mama will be happy to receive it!
Thank you again for sharing your experience and wisdom of homeschooling. It sure helps newbies like me!
Blessings,
Johanna, Bittersweet Cottage
Thank you for your prayers for my guys that are deployed and for visiting our blog. You are a blessing to me~
I can't wait to hear your review on M. Motherhood. I liked your idea of the outdoor hour. I believe I've heard of that before but what a great reminder as the weather warms up.
~Cinnamon
Hi Lecia,
Thank you so much for your testimony. Your story is so inspiring just like Amanda's. I'm so thankful that I have been made aware of this type of teaching early on, and that I have found so many inspiring blogs (like yours).
Another CM homeschooling Mama said to me: "What could be more natural than teaching your own children? They want to learn from you."
Thank you again,
Carissa
Wow! I love the pictures. I love the idea of learning without confinement of a classroom. Blessings!
I have been homeschooling for almost 3 years. We took our oldest out of school at the end of his second grade year. It can be kind of like leaping off a cliff, at first.
I found the book by Karen Andreola at our library and read it from cover to cover in about a week. It is excellent. I need to read it again. It really inspired me to read more about CM. It is very much in line with the way I think about learning and teaching. I think she was a very wise woman.
Even though I pictured our little homeschool looking much like Karen explains in her companion book to the CM volumes, it is easy to get side-tracked and somehow our journey was not going in the direction I had envisioned. Karen helped get us moving in the right direction.
I adore Karen Andreola's book. Have you read "Lessons from Blackberry Inn" as well? Wonderful!
I'm in my 5th year of homeschooling, and though we are mostly CM-style, I have veered away from it a bit, and have lately realized that the years we most closely followed her style, we had our best homeschool years. So I am working to get back to doing things more the CM way!
I love it too!!! We had the desire to homeschool without the school at home approach and were so thrilled when we stumbled upon the Simply Charlotte Mason approach. Amazing...learning from life instead of forcing learning into little boxes! We've started with the natural learning, experiencing with our 3 yr old this year and in May begin with our 8 yr old fulltime as well. God is so good! Thank you for your testimony!
Building Home with Him,
Mary Joy
Wonderful testimony! Thank you for honestly sharing your homeschool journey with us. A CM education truly is transformational, one of my favorite reasons being no dualism - no separation between the secular and the sacred.
Ring true,
Nancy
Now I'm signed in as me! (Nancy, not Sally!)
Wonderful testimony! Thank you for honestly sharing your homeschool journey with us. A CM education truly is transformational, one of my favorite reasons being no dualism - no separation between the secular and the sacred.
Ring true,
Nancy
Thanks for your kind comments. Amazing how easy training our children at home can be once we begin to understand the gentle art of learning.
Post a Comment