I am sure you have heard the old saying, “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” Well, I have lots of elephants in my life right now. Things that seem overwhelming to me. But rather than attack them “one bite at a time” I try to tackle them all at once. I have an all or nothing mentality. So I jump full force into what I am doing, stress myself out, and give up when I don’t see the changes I want to see. But just like tackling an elephant one bite at a time I need to consistently work on these elephants in my life. I believe consistently will be the key to seeing results. I need to learn to relax and take baby steps. Eventually the results will come. What are some of the elephants in my life? Having a daily quite time with the Lord and growing closer to Him, having a cleaner, decluttered home, adopting a healthier lifestyle, teaching my children and incorporating more than just the basics, the list can go on and on. My desire is to lead a simple life. But that is almost impossible to do when I am always feeling behind. And I believe Satan uses that. The stress I feel affects me as a wife, mother, and friend. How can I live a life of service when I feel I am barely keeping my head above water? How can I provide that peaceful, restful home for my family when I am struggling to get it all done? I know consistency in every area of my life will bring me to the simple life I so desire. How do you find that balance in your own life?
4 comments:
Lecia ~ I love it when this happens...I was clicking on the link to see what you had written and these are the same exact thoughts that I had running through my head...seriously! I was coming here and thinking, "I have so much to do. I don't know if I can get it all done. There has to be a way to simplify..." I obviously don't have any advice since I'm in the same boat. I look forward to responses from others. :)
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all this will be added to you." I found that doing the devotions first thing in the morning is key, then everything else just seems to fall into line. And if it does not fall into line then I don't really get so upset because I have that foundation of God's peace to start the day.
Hey there- I feel your pain!! I always seem to bite off more than I can chew...
The question that sticks out to me " How can I live a life of service..." I think you already are, you just might not realize it. I think service, to God, is not only worshiping and praising Him, but also to show God to your family and friends through actions. There will always be a list of things that needs to be done. Its not if you get them done, but how you get them done... By keeping your focus on God through out the day, it will not only effect how you see your work, but others will notice, too...one day at a time, one project at a time... lots of deep breaths and always count your blessings (that helps me when the elephants start to show up...)
As for the elephants- keep lots of peanuts around... gotta keep them happy, too :)
Thank you all ladies for your encouragement. It is so true that we need to put God first in every area of our lives.
Firefly, I love what you said, it is not if you get things done but how you do them. What good is a clean home if I have been grouchy and complaining in the process. Thanks for that reminder.
Post a Comment